I used to think spending money on your house was almost automatically a smart financial decision.
After all, you're not wasting money on a vacation or a new phone. You're putting money into an asset.
That sounds logical.
But the more I learned about home renovation costs, real estate investing, resale value, and return on investment, the more I realized there is a huge difference between making your home better and making your home more valuable.
Those two things are not the same.
You can spend $50,000 remodelling a kitchen and love every minute you spend in it.
You can install a swimming pool and create years of memories with your children.
You can build a beautiful home theatre and finally have the movie room you've always wanted.
And you can still lose money when you eventually sell the house.
That isn't necessarily a failure.
It's simply the difference between buying enjoyment and buying an investment.
I've come to believe that this distinction is one of the most important things homeowners should understand before signing a remodelling contract.
Because when you're spending tens of thousands of dollars on a home improvement project, you shouldn't only ask:
“Will this make my house nicer?”
You should also ask:
“How much of this money am I realistically going to get back?”
The uploaded source material makes this same fundamental point: many homeowners spend heavily on renovations expecting the money to come back through a higher selling price, while actual resale returns can be substantially lower than the renovation cost.
And that's where this gets interesting.
Some of the most expensive, impressive home improvements can have surprisingly weak resale value.
Meanwhile, some of the most boring projects can produce much stronger returns.
So if you're a homeowner in the United States—or you're thinking about buying a house and renovating it—here are 10 home improvements I would think very carefully about before spending serious money.
First, Understand the Difference Between Home Value and Personal Value
Before I get into the list, I want to make something clear.
I'm not saying these improvements are automatically bad.
That's important.
If you've always dreamed about having a swimming pool and you have the money to comfortably afford one, there is nothing wrong with building it.
If your family would use a sunroom every morning for the next 15 years, it could be one of the best purchases you've ever made.
If cooking is your passion and a high-end kitchen makes you genuinely happy, go ahead.
But don't tell yourself that you're making a great real estate investment simply because you're renovating.
That's where homeowners can get into trouble.
A $100,000 renovation doesn't necessarily create $100,000 of additional property value.
Sometimes it creates $60,000.
Sometimes $40,000.
Sometimes the improvement is so personalized that a future buyer may actually see it as a liability.
That's why I like to separate two questions:
“Will I enjoy this?”
and
“Will the next buyer pay for this?”
If the answer to the first question is yes and the second is uncertain, that's perfectly fine.
Just know what you're buying.
You're buying lifestyle, not necessarily investment return.
1. The Luxury Kitchen Remodel
Let's start with the one homeowners love talking about.
The kitchen.
For decades, people have heard that kitchen remodelling increases home value.
And there is some truth to that.
A tired, outdated kitchen can absolutely make a home harder to sell.
But there's a huge difference between updating a kitchen and completely rebuilding a kitchen at luxury level.
That's where I become cautious.
Imagine you have a perfectly functional kitchen with outdated cabinets, old hardware, worn countertops and ugly lighting.
You could spend a reasonable amount improving those things.
Fresh paint.
New cabinet hardware.
Better lighting.
Updated fixtures.
A countertop replacement.
Maybe refacing rather than replacing cabinets.
That can completely change the appearance of the room without destroying your budget.
But then there's the other approach.
You rip everything out.
New cabinets.
Premium appliances.
Custom island.
Imported stone.
Designer backsplash.
Luxury fixtures.
Custom lighting.
Special-order everything.
Suddenly your $20,000 project has become a $60,000 or $80,000 project.
And here's the problem.
The next homeowner may not value your $80,000 kitchen at $80,000.
They may look at it and think:
“The kitchen is nice.”
Not:
“I'll pay $80,000 more for this kitchen.”
That's an enormous distinction.
So my philosophy is simple:
Improve the kitchen. Don't automatically build your dream kitchen.
If you're renovating primarily for resale, functionality and broad buyer appeal usually matter more than creating a magazine-worthy room.
2. An In-Ground Swimming Pool
This is probably going to make some homeowners angry.
But I'm going to say it anyway.
A swimming pool is usually a lifestyle purchase before it is a financial investment.
And that's okay.
Pools can be fantastic.
If you have children, a pool can become the centre of your summer.
Friends come over.
Family gathers.
You spend weekends outside.
You create memories.
Those things have real value.
But they're not necessarily reflected dollar-for-dollar in the home's resale price.
And the financial commitment doesn't stop after construction.
There's maintenance.
Cleaning.
Chemicals.
Equipment repairs.
Insurance considerations.
Opening and closing the pool depending on where you live.
Potential resurfacing.
Potential pump replacement.
And all the little costs that homeowners don't think about when they're staring at the rendering from the pool company.
That's why I would never buy a house—or build a pool—simply because someone told me:
“You'll get all your money back when you sell.”
Maybe.
Maybe not.
A pool can even narrow your buyer pool in certain markets because some buyers don't want the maintenance or safety responsibilities.
So if you want a pool, build it because you want to use it.
Just don't confuse enjoyment with guaranteed real estate appreciation.
3. Turning Your Garage Into Living Space
This one can be particularly dangerous because the math looks so attractive.
You already have a garage.
It's sitting there.
Maybe you only park one vehicle inside.
So you think:
“Why don't I turn half of this into a home office, gym or bonus room?”
The problem is that you're potentially removing something many buyers consider extremely valuable:
garage parking and storage.
For some homeowners, a garage isn't just a place to park a car.
It's where they keep:
Tools
Bikes
Lawn equipment
Seasonal decorations
Sports equipment
Household storage
Workshop equipment
And in many parts of the United States, protecting a vehicle from extreme heat, cold, snow, hail or storms is important.
A beautiful bonus room doesn't necessarily compensate for losing a functional garage.
There's another issue.
If the conversion isn't properly permitted, insulated, heated, cooled and integrated into the home, you could create a complicated situation during a future sale.
So before converting a garage, I'd ask:
“What would my neighbourhood's typical buyer rather have—a bonus room or a garage?”
Don't answer based on your own preference.
Look at comparable homes.
Talk to local real estate professionals.
Understand your market.
4. The Home Theatre
I love movies.
But I still wouldn't automatically spend a fortune building a dedicated home theatre.
Why?
Because technology has changed the economics.
You can now get an enormous television, a good sound system and comfortable seating without transforming an entire room into a permanent theatre.
A dedicated theatre can become extremely personalized.
Tiered seating.
Projector wiring.
Built-in speakers.
Acoustic treatments.
Custom lighting.
Specialized flooring.
All of that sounds impressive.
But imagine being the next homeowner.
You don't watch movies.
You work from home.
You have two children.
You need a playroom.
Suddenly, the room isn't a feature.
It's a conversion project.
That's the danger with highly specialized home improvements.
The more specific the feature, the smaller the number of buyers who will value it.
I'd much rather have a flexible finished basement or den that can become whatever the next homeowner needs.
5. The Over-The-Top Primary Suite
This is another renovation where homeowners can confuse luxury with investment.
Imagine spending $150,000 creating an enormous primary suite.
Huge walk-in closet.
Luxury bathroom.
Freestanding tub.
Premium flooring.
Custom lighting.
Sitting area.
Maybe even a fireplace.
It sounds incredible.
And if you're staying in the home for another 15 years, maybe it genuinely is incredible.
But if you're thinking about home renovation ROI, be careful.
A buyer isn't necessarily going to reimburse you for every design choice you made.
They may not care about your custom closet.
They may prefer a different bathroom layout.
They may want the sitting area converted into an office.
They may hate the tile you spent months selecting.
That's the fundamental problem with expensive personalized renovations:
You pay retail for your preferences, but the buyer pays market price for the house.
Those aren't the same thing.
6. A Luxury Bathroom With Features Nobody Asked For
Bathrooms absolutely matter when selling a house.
But more isn't always better.
I would be particularly cautious about expensive bathroom features that look impressive in a showroom but don't provide broad functionality.
Think:
Huge whirlpool tubs.
Extremely expensive imported materials.
Overly complicated fixtures.
Excessive customization.
Oversized soaking tubs that consume valuable floor space.
Many homeowners would rather have:
A beautiful walk-in shower.
Good storage.
Quality lighting.
Modern fixtures.
Clean design.
Functional layout.
And easy maintenance.
That's something I think homeowners sometimes forget.
Luxury isn't necessarily the same thing as usability.
When renovating for resale, I would rather create a bathroom that 90% of buyers like than a bathroom that 10% of buyers absolutely love.
7. Elaborate Landscaping and Water Features
This one is fascinating because curb appeal absolutely matters.
But there's a difference between good landscaping and high-maintenance landscaping.
A clean yard with healthy trees, trimmed shrubs, fresh mulch and attractive native plants can make a home feel dramatically better.
That's the kind of curb appeal I like.
But then homeowners sometimes go much further.
Decorative ponds.
Expensive fountains.
Rare plants.
Complex irrigation.
Specialized landscaping.
Custom stonework.
Suddenly, you've created something beautiful.
You've also created a maintenance obligation.
And that's exactly what some buyers see.
They don't see:
“My dream backyard.”
They see:
“How much is this going to cost me every year?”
That's why I believe the best landscaping for resale is often beautiful but simple.
You want the buyer thinking:
“That's attractive.”
Not:
“That's going to become my weekend job.”
8. A Sunroom Addition
Sunrooms are another example of something that can be wonderful personally while producing a disappointing financial return.
I understand the appeal.
Morning coffee.
Natural light.
A quiet reading area.
Indoor-outdoor living.
A place to enjoy the backyard without dealing with mosquitoes.
But before spending tens of thousands of dollars on a sunroom, I would investigate exactly how your local real estate market and appraisal practices treat the space.
Is it fully conditioned?
Is it permitted?
Does it count as finished living area?
How do comparable homes treat similar additions?
Would buyers in your climate actually pay more for it?
Those questions matter.
Sometimes a screened porch or covered outdoor living area can accomplish much of the lifestyle benefit for less money.
Again, I'm not against sunrooms.
I'm against spending money without understanding what you're buying.
9. Bold, Highly Personalized Interior Design
This is one of the easiest mistakes to make.
Because you live there.
You want personality.
And your home should feel like yours.
I don't believe every house needs to be painted beige just because you're planning to sell it someday.
But if you're renovating specifically to maximize home resale value, you should remember that you're creating a product for someone else.
A bright orange kitchen may be your favourite room in the house.
A buyer may immediately calculate the cost of repainting it.
The same applies to:
Extremely bold wallpaper
Unusual flooring
Highly specific tile
Custom murals
Unconventional fixtures
Very distinctive colour schemes
There's nothing wrong with personality.
But permanent personalization becomes risky when you're expecting the next buyer to pay extra for it.
If you're staying for ten years, enjoy your bold design.
If you're selling next year, think like a seller.
10. Complicated Solar Financing
This one needs nuance.
I'm not against solar energy.
Far from it.
Solar can make financial sense for certain homeowners depending on electricity costs, available incentives, system size, roof characteristics, financing, ownership structure and local regulations.
The problem is assuming:
“Solar automatically increases my home's value.”
It isn't that simple.
The ownership and financing structure matters enormously.
A system that you own outright is very different from a system tied to a lease or financing arrangement that a future buyer may have to assume.
And that's where sellers can run into problems.
Imagine finding the perfect buyer for your house and getting close to closing.
Then the buyer discovers they may have to assume a complicated solar agreement.
Suddenly their monthly housing costs are different from what they expected.
That's not the kind of surprise you want during a real estate transaction.
So if you're considering residential solar panels, I would focus first on the economics of your electricity bill and your expected ownership period, rather than assuming the installation automatically becomes a premium when you sell.
The Bigger Lesson: Don't Renovate Your House Like You're Trying to Impress Instagram
This is where I think the entire conversation becomes much bigger than ten specific renovations.
I've seen homeowners make a mistake that is incredibly easy to understand.
They renovate based on what looks impressive.
Huge kitchen.
Luxury bathroom.
Pool.
Outdoor kitchen.
Theatre.
Massive primary suite.
Designer finishes.
But the housing market doesn't necessarily reward the homeowner who spends the most.
It rewards the home that fits what buyers actually want in that market.
That's why some of the most financially sensible home improvements can be incredibly boring.
A new garage door.
A quality front door.
Fresh paint.
Better lighting.
Simple landscaping.
Improved insulation.
Necessary roof repairs.
Modern fixtures.
A clean, functional kitchen.
These aren't exciting.
But boring improvements often have something expensive renovations don't: broad appeal.
The Most Important Question to Ask Before a Home Renovation
If I were about to spend $30,000, $50,000 or $100,000 on my house, I'd ask myself three questions.
Question #1: Am I doing this for myself?
If yes, that's perfectly legitimate.
You're buying enjoyment.
You're buying comfort.
You're buying convenience.
You're improving your quality of life.
That's not a bad financial decision simply because it doesn't generate a huge resale return.
Question #2: Am I doing this for resale?
If yes, I would become much more conservative.
I'd focus on things buyers broadly appreciate.
Functionality.
Condition.
Energy efficiency where the numbers make sense.
Curb appeal.
Kitchen and bathroom updates that aren't excessively personalized.
Storage.
Flexible living space.
Necessary maintenance.
Question #3: How long am I staying?
This might be the most important question of all.
If you're staying for 15 years, a renovation that only recovers 50% of its cost at resale may still make sense.
Why?
Because you got 15 years of enjoyment from it.
But if you're planning to sell in 18 months, the calculation changes dramatically.
You don't have enough time to enjoy the feature.
Now you're primarily relying on the next buyer to pay for it.
That's a much riskier bet.
The Home Renovation ROI Trap Nobody Talks About
There's another reason I'm cautious about renovation ROI.
Homeowners often calculate the return incorrectly.
They think:
“I spent $40,000 and my house is now worth $40,000 more.”
But that's not necessarily how real estate works.
Your home's value is influenced by:
Location
Comparable sales
School districts
Neighbourhood desirability
Lot size
Home size
Condition
Local housing supply
Interest rates
Buyer demand
Market conditions
Quality of the renovation
Your renovation doesn't exist in isolation.
You could build the most beautiful kitchen on the block and still struggle to recover the full cost if comparable homes in your neighbourhood sell for less.
That's why real estate market research matters before major renovations.
Look at what buyers are actually paying for nearby homes.
Not what Pinterest says your kitchen should cost.
Not what a contractor tells you the project will be worth.
Not what an HGTV-style renovation makes you feel.
Look at the market.
What I'd Prioritize Instead
If my goal were to improve a house while protecting my financial position, I'd generally prioritize things in this order:
1. Fix problems that can become expensive.
Roof.
Foundation.
Plumbing.
Electrical.
Water intrusion.
HVAC.
Structural issues.
Those aren't glamorous, but neglecting them can destroy value.
2. Improve functionality.
Better lighting.
Storage.
Efficient layouts.
Modern fixtures.
Useful outdoor space.
3. Improve first impressions.
Landscaping.
Front door.
Exterior maintenance.
Paint.
Cleanliness.
4. Make sensible kitchen and bathroom improvements.
Not necessarily luxury.
Just clean, functional and attractive.
5. Keep expensive personal projects until you're sure you're staying.
Pool.
Theatre.
Luxury suite.
Highly customized spaces.
Those can be fantastic—but only if you're comfortable treating them primarily as lifestyle spending.
And This Is Where I Think Homeownership Gets Misunderstood
We're constantly told that owning a home is an investment.
And it can be.
But your primary residence is also a place where you live.
That's important.
If you spend $30,000 improving your home and get $20,000 back when you sell, someone might say:
“You lost $10,000.”
Maybe.
But if that $30,000 improvement gave your family ten years of enjoyment, comfort and memories, the financial return wasn't the only return.
That's why I don't believe homeowners should obsess over 100% renovation ROI.
Instead, I'd ask:
“Is the enjoyment I'm getting worth the money I'm spending?”
That's a much more honest question.
If the answer is yes and you can comfortably afford it, do the project.
Just don't call it an investment if you're really buying a better life.
My Rule for Spending Money on a House
Here's the rule I would personally keep above everything else:
Don't spend $100,000 trying to make your house worth $100,000 more when you could spend $30,000 making your life better and still preserve most of your home's marketability.
Your house should serve your life.
Your life shouldn't become a servant to your house.
That's something I think homeowners lose sight of.
You don't need the biggest kitchen.
You don't need the fanciest bathroom.
You don't need the largest pool.
You don't need a home theatre.
You don't need a $150,000 primary suite.
You need a home that works for you.
And if you can improve that home without putting your retirement savings, emergency fund or financial independence at risk, even better.
Final Thought: Know Whether You're Buying an Investment or Buying Happiness
If there's one thing I want homeowners to take away from this, it's this:
A home improvement doesn't have to make financial sense to be worth doing.
It just needs to be honest about what it is.
If you're building a pool because your kids will spend every summer swimming with their grandparents, that's a lifestyle purchase.
If you're remodelling your kitchen because you love cooking for your family, that's a lifestyle purchase.
If you're building a home theatre because movies are your thing, enjoy it.
But if you're spending $80,000 because a contractor told you it will “add $80,000 to the home's value,” slow down.
Get comparable sales.
Talk to experienced local real estate professionals.
Understand your neighbourhood.
Research the expected return on investment for home remodelling.
And most importantly, understand the difference between what something costs you and what a future buyer is willing to pay for it.
Because the most expensive renovation mistake isn't necessarily spending too much money.
It's spending too much money while believing you're investing when you're actually consuming.
I've learned that there's nothing wrong with consuming.
We work hard for our money.
We're allowed to enjoy it.
The mistake is simply not knowing which one we're doing.
Renovate for yourself when you can afford it. Renovate for resale when the numbers make sense. And never confuse the two.
— Suman Jana | Simon Williams Office
Check more
40 Simple Money Rules That Can Help You Get Out of Debt, Stop Overspending, and Build Wealth
The Boring Way to Build Wealth: Why the Quietest Money Strategy May Be the One That Works Best

0 Comments