If someone asked me, “Suman, what would you do if you wanted to start investing but you didn't have much money?”
My answer would probably surprise them.
I wouldn't tell them to wait until they had $10,000.
I wouldn't tell them to wait until they got a six-figure salary.
I wouldn't tell them to find the next Amazon, Tesla, or Bitcoin.
And I definitely wouldn't tell them they need to become an expert stock picker before putting their first dollar into the market.
I would tell them to start with something almost embarrassingly small.
$50 a week.
That's it.
Not because $50 is going to magically make someone rich.
It won't.
But because I believe the first $50 has a job that is much more important than making money.
It teaches you how to become an investor.
And once you learn how to consistently move money from your paycheck into assets, you have built something far more valuable than a one-time investment.
You've built a habit.
That is where I think most people misunderstand wealth building.
They focus on the amount.
I focus on the system.
Why $50 a Week Matters More Than It Looks
Let's put $50 into perspective.
$50 a week is approximately $216.67 per month, or $2,600 a year.
For someone earning $50,000 a year, that is not an insignificant amount of money.
But it also isn't so large that someone needs to completely redesign their life to find it.
Maybe it's one less restaurant meal.
Maybe it's cutting a few subscriptions.
Maybe it's reducing unnecessary shopping.
Maybe it's redirecting part of a tax refund.
Maybe it's taking a small amount from every paycheck.
The source of the $50 isn't really the point.
The behavior is.
Because once you successfully invest $50 every week, the next question becomes:
“Can I make it $60?”
Then $75.
Then $100.
Then perhaps $150.
And eventually you may look back and realize that the $50 habit was never the destination.
It was the starting line.
That's how I think about investing.
The first goal isn't to become wealthy.
The first goal is to become consistent.
I Would Rather Start Small Than Wait for the Perfect Time
This is one of the biggest lessons I've learned from studying personal finance.
People love the idea of starting when everything is perfect.
When their income is higher.
When their credit-card debt is gone.
When they have a better job.
When the economy improves.
When the stock market falls.
When they know exactly which investment to buy.
When they have enough money to make the investment “worthwhile.”
The problem is that perfect conditions rarely arrive.
There is always another reason to wait.
And waiting can become a habit just as easily as investing can.
If I were starting from zero, I would rather invest a manageable amount today and increase it later than spend five years planning to invest a much larger amount someday.
Because time matters.
And the earlier money gets invested, the longer it has the opportunity to compound.
What $50 a Week Can Actually Become
Let's make the numbers real.
Suppose I invest $50 every week and earn a hypothetical average annual return of 8%.
That 8% is not a guarantee. Markets go up and down, and actual returns can be dramatically different over individual years.
But for a long-term illustration, assume the money compounds at 8% annually.
After 10 years, $50 a week would mean approximately $26,000 of contributions.
At that hypothetical return, the account could grow to roughly $40,000.
After 20 years, I would have contributed about $52,000.
The hypothetical account value could be around $128,000.
After 30 years, I would have contributed approximately $78,000.
The hypothetical account could grow to around $300,000.
And after 40 years, the same $50-per-week habit could potentially grow to roughly $700,000 under that same hypothetical 8% return.
That's the part that gets my attention.
Not because $700,000 is guaranteed.
It absolutely isn't.
It's because the difference between what I personally contributed and the hypothetical ending value demonstrates the power of compounding over a long period.
You are giving your money time to produce returns.
Then those returns remain invested.
Then they can produce additional returns.
That's the snowball.
And the longer you leave it rolling, the larger it can become.
But Here's What I Would Do Differently
I don't want anyone reading this to think my strategy is:
“Invest $50 forever.”
That isn't the lesson.
The lesson is:
Start with $50 and build from there.
If I could afford $50 a week today, I'd automate it.
Then every time my income increased, I'd revisit the amount.
Maybe my employer gives me a raise.
Maybe I switch jobs.
Maybe I pay off a car loan.
Maybe I eliminate a credit-card balance.
Maybe my rent doesn't increase as much as expected.
Every time my monthly cash flow improves, I would ask:
“How much of this improvement can I turn into an investment?”
That's how $50 becomes $75.
$75 becomes $100.
$100 becomes $150.
And $150 becomes $200.
The biggest mistake would be to let my lifestyle absorb every increase in income.
Because if I earn more but spend every extra dollar, I haven't really increased my wealth-building capacity.
I've just increased my consumption.
The $50 Weekly Investing Strategy Is Really a Lifestyle Strategy
This is where I think the idea gets much more interesting.
If I tell someone:
“Invest $2,600 a year.”
That sounds like a financial instruction.
But if I tell them:
“Build your lifestyle around automatically investing $50 every week.”
That's different.
Now investing becomes part of their identity.
They aren't someone who occasionally invests.
They are an investor.
That psychological shift matters.
Because once something becomes part of your identity, you don't have to constantly negotiate with yourself about whether you're going to do it.
You just do it.
I think that's why automatic investing can be so powerful.
The money moves before I have an opportunity to spend it.
I don't have to decide every Friday whether future-me deserves $50.
The system already decided.
And honestly, I like systems much more than motivation.
Motivation disappears.
Systems keep running.
Where I Would Put the $50
This is where I want to add an important distinction.
The $50 should not automatically go into the first investment someone sees on social media.
I would first look at my financial foundation.
If I had no emergency savings and was struggling to cover basic expenses, I wouldn't pretend investing was the only financial priority.
If I had extremely expensive credit-card debt, I would take that seriously because high interest can work against me just as aggressively as investment compounding can work for me.
If my employer offered a 401(k) match, I would understand the rules and strongly consider contributing enough to capture the available match, depending on my circumstances.
Then I would look at tax-advantaged retirement accounts and diversified investments.
For many Americans, that could mean considering a workplace 401(k), Roth IRA, Traditional IRA, or other appropriate retirement account.
The IRS says the 2026 employee contribution limit for most 401(k), 403(b), and governmental 457 plans is $24,500, while the 2026 IRA contribution limit is $7,500, subject to eligibility and applicable rules.
The important thing is that these accounts aren't investments themselves.
They are account structures with different tax rules.
Inside them, you still have to choose investments.
And that's where I would keep things simple.
I Don't Think Your First Investment Needs to Be Exciting
One of the biggest problems with investing today is that people have been convinced investing is supposed to be exciting.
Every day there is another headline.
Another stock.
Another cryptocurrency.
Another artificial intelligence company.
Another person claiming they found the next 100x investment.
But I don't want my retirement to depend on finding the next big thing.
I want diversification.
I want reasonable costs.
I want an investment strategy I can continue using when the market is falling.
That is one reason broad-market index funds can be useful for long-term investors. An index fund is designed to track a market index rather than relying on an investor to select individual securities.
That doesn't make index funds risk-free.
It doesn't guarantee profits.
But it can provide diversification across many securities rather than forcing me to bet everything on one company.
And for someone just beginning to learn how to invest for retirement, I think simplicity has tremendous value.
The Hardest Part Isn't Investing the $50
This might sound strange, but I don't think the hardest part is finding $50.
The hardest part is leaving the money alone.
Imagine you start investing.
For several months, everything looks great.
Your account goes up.
You feel like a genius.
Then the stock market drops.
Suddenly your $10,000 becomes $8,000.
The headlines become terrifying.
Everyone online is predicting a recession.
Someone tells you the market is going to crash even further.
You start thinking:
“Maybe I should sell and wait.”
This is where a long-term investing strategy gets tested.
Because investing is easy when everything is going up.
The difficult part is continuing when your account balance is moving in the wrong direction.
If I am investing money for a goal decades away, I have to understand that market declines are part of the journey.
I don't want to build a financial plan that requires me to predict every market crash correctly.
I want a plan that allows me to continue investing through them.
The $50 Becomes More Powerful When You Increase It
Let's say someone starts at age 25.
They invest $50 a week.
Then at age 28, they get a better-paying job.
Instead of spending the entire raise, they increase their weekly investment to $75.
A few years later, they increase it to $100.
Then $125.
Then $150.
Now we're talking about a completely different wealth-building system.
That's why I wouldn't obsess over the exact future value of $50.
The real question is:
What happens if $50 is only the beginning?
Because your income will hopefully change.
Your career will change.
Your expenses will change.
Your financial knowledge will change.
Your ability to save may change.
Your investment contribution should change too.
The $50 strategy works best when it becomes a contribution ladder.
Start.
Automate.
Increase.
Repeat.
Why I Like Weekly Investing
There's another psychological advantage to the $50-per-week approach.
The number feels manageable.
“I'm going to invest $2,600 this year” can sound intimidating.
“I'm going to invest $50 this week” feels much easier.
It's the same underlying money, but the psychological experience is completely different.
Small weekly goals can make a massive financial objective feel manageable.
And I think that matters because personal finance is behavioral.
The mathematically perfect plan that someone refuses to follow is worse than a simple plan they can actually maintain.
If $50 per week is comfortable, start there.
If $25 is all you can realistically afford, start there.
If you can comfortably invest $200 per week, don't artificially limit yourself to $50.
The number is not sacred.
The habit is.
What If You're Already 40?
This is where I want to push back against something I hear constantly.
“I wish I had started earlier.”
I understand that feeling.
Maybe you are 40.
Maybe you're 45.
Maybe you're 50.
Maybe retirement is closer than you expected.
You cannot go back and invest at 22.
But regret doesn't create compound growth.
Action does.
If I were starting late, I wouldn't waste the next five years wishing I had started five years ago.
I would start now.
I would review my expenses.
I would eliminate unnecessary high-interest debt.
I would build an appropriate emergency fund.
I would investigate my employer retirement plan.
I would determine whether a Roth IRA or Traditional IRA made sense for me.
I would increase my savings rate.
And I would invest consistently.
Starting late isn't ideal.
But starting later is still better than waiting longer.
What About the $50 That Doesn't Feel Like Enough?
I think this is one of the most dangerous thoughts in personal finance.
“It's only $50.”
People dismiss small amounts because they compare them to the enormous wealth they eventually want.
But that's the wrong comparison.
Don't compare $50 to $1 million.
Compare $50 to $0.
That's a completely different conversation.
$50 is more than nothing.
$100 is more than $50.
$500 is more than $100.
And an automated contribution that continues for decades is completely different from a one-time deposit.
The first $50 isn't supposed to solve your retirement.
It's supposed to prove that you can consistently pay your future self.
The Hidden Benefit: You're Buying Financial Discipline
This is probably my favorite part of the entire idea.
When you invest $50 every week, you're not just buying shares.
You're buying discipline.
You're training yourself to delay gratification.
You're learning to live below your maximum spending capacity.
You're becoming comfortable with investing.
You're learning how markets behave.
You're learning what volatility feels like.
You're building an emergency fund.
You're watching your retirement account grow.
You're seeing the difference between saving and investing.
And eventually, something interesting happens.
You stop thinking:
“I need to find money to invest.”
You start thinking:
“How can I increase my investment rate?”
That's a completely different mindset.
Don't Let Lifestyle Inflation Steal the $50
If I received a $500 monthly raise, one of the first things I'd ask myself is:
“How much of this raise actually needs to become lifestyle?”
Maybe I genuinely need better housing.
Maybe my family has grown.
Maybe healthcare costs increased.
Maybe my car needs replacing.
Life happens.
But I don't want every increase in income to become a permanent increase in expenses.
If I can redirect even a portion of every raise into my investment account, I'm increasing my savings rate without necessarily feeling poorer.
That's the trick.
You don't have to dramatically reduce your lifestyle every year.
You can simply prevent your lifestyle from rising as fast as your income.
That creates an expanding gap.
And that gap becomes investment capital.
The Difference Between Looking Rich and Becoming Wealthy
I think America has a strange relationship with money.
We celebrate income.
We celebrate expensive homes.
We celebrate luxury cars.
We celebrate designer clothes.
We celebrate business success.
But we rarely celebrate the person who quietly has $500,000 invested.
Because investment accounts aren't sitting in the driveway.
There is no engine noise.
No logo.
No Instagram post.
No one knows.
And that's precisely why real wealth can be invisible.
Someone can look incredibly successful and have almost no financial flexibility.
Another person can look completely ordinary and have substantial assets.
I would much rather build the second life.
Because my goal isn't to convince strangers that I'm wealthy.
My goal is to have enough assets that I don't have to worry about what strangers think.
What $50 a Week Taught Me About Wealth
If I had to summarize the entire strategy in one sentence, it would be this:
Small amounts become powerful when they are repeated for a very long time.
That's the lesson.
Not that $50 is magical.
Not that 8% returns are guaranteed.
Not that everyone will become a millionaire.
And not that investing can replace the need for a good income.
It can't.
Income matters.
Career development matters.
Debt matters.
Taxes matter.
Housing costs matter.
Health matters.
Family circumstances matter.
But once you have some room in your budget, I think one of the best things you can do is create an automatic path from your paycheck to your future.
For me, that path would start with $50.
Then I'd increase it.
My $50-a-Week Wealth-Building Checklist
If I were starting from scratch today, this is the system I'd build.
I'd first make sure my basic bills were under control.
I'd work toward an emergency fund appropriate for my situation.
I'd attack high-interest credit-card debt.
I'd check whether my employer offers a 401(k) match.
I'd contribute enough to take advantage of that benefit where appropriate.
I'd investigate whether a Roth IRA or Traditional IRA fits my situation.
I'd automate a weekly or per-paycheck investment contribution.
I'd favor a diversified, long-term investment strategy rather than chasing whatever is trending online.
I'd keep investment costs in mind.
I'd avoid constantly buying and selling based on financial headlines.
I'd review my contribution whenever my income increased.
And I'd make one promise to myself:
I would not stop just because the amount feels small.
Because $50 a week isn't really about $50.
It's about becoming the kind of person who invests every week.
The Question I Would Ask Myself Every Payday
If you're reading this and wondering where to start, I wouldn't ask:
“How can I become a millionaire?”
That's too big.
I'd ask:
“How much of this paycheck can I send to future me before I spend it?”
Maybe the answer is $50.
Maybe it's $20.
Maybe it's $200.
Start with an amount you can realistically maintain.
Then automate it.
And once that amount becomes normal, increase it.
That's how I would build wealth.
Not by waiting for the perfect salary.
Not by trying to predict the perfect stock.
Not by trying to get rich quickly.
But by making a small financial decision repeatedly until it becomes a very large financial result.
Because the truth is, most people don't fail at investing because they picked the wrong stock.
They fail because they never developed the habit of investing consistently in the first place.
And that's why I like the $50-per-week strategy so much.
It is small enough to start.
Simple enough to automate.
Flexible enough to increase.
And powerful enough, given enough time and reasonable investment returns, to demonstrate what compound growth can do.
Your first $50 probably won't change your life.
But the person you become after investing that $50 every week for the next 10, 20, or 30 years might.
That's the part I would never underestimate.
Start small.
Stay consistent.
Increase the amount when you can.
Give compounding time to work.
And most importantly, stop waiting for the version of yourself who “makes enough money” to start building wealth.
Start with the version of yourself who exists today.
— By Suman Jana | Personal Finance & Wealth | Simon Williams Office

0 Comments