The Richest Things in Life Are Often Free — And Most Americans Are Too Busy Buying Them

I used to think being financially successful meant having enough money to buy the things I wanted without checking the price first.

A nicer house.

A better car.

More expensive vacations.

A bigger investment account.

A lifestyle that looked successful from the outside.

But the older I get, the more I question that definition of wealth.

Because I've started noticing something that doesn't get talked about enough in personal finance.

Some people have plenty of money and almost no peace.

They earn six figures, sometimes much more.

They live in beautiful homes.

They drive expensive cars.

They take impressive vacations.

They have subscriptions for everything.

And yet they are constantly checking their phones, answering emails late at night, worrying about money, rushing from one obligation to another, and wondering why they never feel like they have enough time.

Then you meet someone who doesn't look particularly wealthy.

Maybe they drive an older car.

Maybe they live in a modest house.

Maybe they don't take three international vacations a year.

But they wake up without an alarm whenever possible.

They have people they love nearby.

They take walks.

They cook dinner at home.

They sleep well.

They have some money saved.

They don't owe everyone an explanation for how they spend their time.

And they aren't constantly trying to prove anything.

I think that person may understand wealth better than most of us.

Because wealth isn't only about what you own.

It's also about what you don't have to worry about.

The Richest Things in Life Are Often Free — And Most Americans Are Too Busy Buying Them

The Most Expensive Mistake in Personal Finance

Personal finance usually teaches us to think in dollars.

How much do you earn?

How much do you save?

What's your net worth?

How much should you have in your 401(k)?

Should you buy a house?

Should you invest in stocks?

How much emergency savings do you need?

Those questions matter.

A lot.

But there's another financial question I think we should ask more often:

What is all this money actually supposed to buy us?

If the answer is simply more stuff, we're probably missing something.

Because the ultimate purpose of money isn't to collect objects.

Money is a tool.

It can buy safety.

It can buy flexibility.

It can reduce stress.

It can give you options.

And eventually, if you manage it well enough, money can buy something far more valuable than another possession:

time.

That's the kind of wealth I care about.

I Don't Think a Luxury Car Is the Same as Feeling Rich

Imagine two people.

One drives a $75,000 vehicle with a large monthly payment.

The other drives a 10-year-old car that is completely paid off.

From the outside, the first person looks richer.

But suppose the first person has almost nothing invested, $20,000 in credit-card and personal debt, and needs every paycheck to maintain the lifestyle.

The second person has six months of living expenses saved, no consumer debt, a growing retirement account, and a manageable mortgage.

Who is financially wealthier?

I think the answer is obvious.

But our culture doesn't always reward the second person.

We can see the car.

We can't see the retirement account.

We can see the designer kitchen.

We can't see the emergency fund.

We can see the vacation photographs.

We can't see the credit-card balance.

That's why I think one of the most important financial lessons is also one of the simplest:

Don't confuse the appearance of wealth with financial security.

The Best Things I Have Are Not Things

Think about the moments when you genuinely felt wealthy.

Not what looked impressive.

What actually felt good.

Maybe it was waking up on a Saturday morning with nowhere to be.

Maybe it was drinking coffee slowly instead of rushing out the door.

Maybe it was sitting around a dinner table with people you love.

Maybe it was taking a walk without checking your phone every two minutes.

Maybe it was sleeping through the night.

Maybe it was realizing that an unexpected $500 expense wasn't going to destroy your month because you had money in the bank.

None of those experiences require a luxury purchase.

And yet they can create a feeling that a $1,000 shopping spree often can't.

The transcript that inspired this article makes the same broader point: many experiences people associate with a “rich life”—slow mornings, rest, time outside, relationships, reading, simplicity and financial breathing room—aren't necessarily purchased experiences.

That idea has changed how I think about personal finance.

Your Time Is an Asset Too

We spend a tremendous amount of time calculating our financial assets.

Checking account.

Brokerage account.

401(k).

IRA.

Home equity.

Real estate.

But we rarely calculate our time wealth.

And I think that's a mistake.

If someone has $2 million but works 80 hours every week, has no time for family, and is constantly stressed about maintaining their lifestyle, I wouldn't automatically describe them as financially free.

Maybe they're wealthy.

Maybe they're not.

It depends on what they can actually do with their money.

On the other hand, someone with a smaller net worth but low expenses, flexible work, manageable debt, and substantial control over their schedule may have a kind of wealth that doesn't appear on a balance sheet.

That's why I think financial independence is about more than reaching a specific number.

It's about having choices.

Can you take a month off?

Can you leave a terrible job?

Can you help your parents?

Can you spend an afternoon with your kids?

Can you handle an emergency without borrowing money?

Can you say no to something you don't want to do?

That's wealth.

One of the Most Valuable Luxuries Is Saying No

This sounds almost too simple.

But I think learning to say no is one of the most powerful financial skills a person can develop.

No to the unnecessary purchase.

No to the expensive subscription.

No to the invitation you genuinely don't want.

No to the job that demands everything from you.

No to upgrading your lifestyle every time your income increases.

No to spending money simply because everyone around you is spending money.

No is powerful because every yes has a cost.

Sometimes that cost is money.

Sometimes it's time.

Sometimes it's energy.

Sometimes it's attention.

And sometimes it's all four.

When I say no to something unnecessary, I'm not simply avoiding an expense.

I'm protecting the resources I actually value.

The Subscription Problem Is Bigger Than Netflix

This is where modern consumer culture gets interesting.

One subscription isn't usually a problem.

Five dollars here.

Fifteen dollars there.

Another streaming service.

A fitness app.

Cloud storage.

A premium delivery service.

A software subscription.

A news subscription.

A membership you forgot about.

None of these purchases feels financially significant.

But that's exactly why recurring expenses can become so dangerous.

The source transcript points to subscription spending as an example of how Americans can quietly spend money on services they barely use.

I wouldn't rely on its specific spending figure without verifying the underlying dataset.

But the underlying lesson is solid.

Recurring expenses deserve recurring attention.

If I were doing a financial cleanup today, I'd look at every automatic payment leaving my accounts.

Then I'd ask one question:

“Would I buy this again today?”

If the answer is no, cancel it.

That money can go toward an emergency fund, debt repayment, retirement savings, or simply giving yourself more breathing room.

A Quiet Home Can Be a Financial Asset

There's another form of wealth I think Americans underestimate:

having less stuff.

This isn't an argument for extreme minimalism.

I'm not saying you need to throw away everything you own.

But there is a financial cost to constantly acquiring things.

You need larger homes.

More storage.

More furniture.

More maintenance.

More organization.

More cleaning.

More replacements.

More insurance.

More decisions.

And eventually, you may discover that you're paying a significant amount of money simply to store possessions you barely use.

I've started thinking about clutter differently.

Every object in my home is asking for some combination of space, attention, maintenance, or money.

That's why I think decluttering can be a legitimate personal finance strategy.

You don't always have to earn more money.

Sometimes you can improve your financial life by needing less.

The Rich Life Doesn't Require a Rich House

Housing is one of the biggest expenses most Americans face.

That's why I think housing deserves special attention in any discussion about financial independence.

A bigger house can be wonderful.

But bigger doesn't automatically mean better.

Every additional square foot can bring additional costs:

Higher mortgage payments.

Higher property taxes.

Higher homeowners insurance.

More maintenance.

More utilities.

More furniture.

More repairs.

More time spent cleaning.

And potentially a longer commute.

I think people sometimes ask:

“How much house can I afford?”

I'd rather ask:

“How much house allows me to live the life I actually want?”

Those are completely different questions.

A home should provide shelter, comfort, and stability.

It doesn't need to become the centerpiece of your financial identity.

Sleep Is a Financial Decision Too

This one might sound strange coming from a finance writer.

But I think sleep belongs in a conversation about wealth.

When you're exhausted, your decision-making changes.

You may spend more money on convenience.

You may eat out more.

You may skip exercise.

You may become less productive.

You may make emotional purchases.

You may struggle at work.

You may become more dependent on caffeine and convenience.

The source material uses sleep as one of its examples of a “free luxury.”

I would take the idea one step further.

Protecting your energy can protect your finances.

I'm not saying every financial problem can be solved by getting eight hours of sleep.

Obviously not.

But if you're constantly exhausted, stressed, and overstimulated, it's harder to make good long-term decisions.

Financial discipline requires mental bandwidth.

Walking Might Be One of the Best Free Investments

One of the most underrated things you can do for yourself costs almost nothing.

Walk.

Not necessarily because you're trying to hit 10,000 steps.

Not because you're training for something.

Just walk.

Leave the phone behind occasionally.

Walk around your neighborhood.

Go to a park.

Walk after dinner.

Walk while thinking.

Walk when you're frustrated.

I've found that some problems become smaller after 30 minutes of walking.

The problem didn't necessarily change.

My relationship with the problem did.

And that matters.

Because a walk can give you something many expensive forms of entertainment can't:

space to think.

Your Library May Be One of the Best Financial Tools You Own

If you're serious about saving money in America, don't underestimate your public library.

A library card can give you access to books, audiobooks, educational resources, digital media and other services depending on your local library system.

And the financial value goes beyond the money saved on books.

Knowledge compounds.

Learning about investing can improve your financial decisions.

Learning about career development can increase your earning potential.

Learning a new skill can potentially create another source of income.

Learning about personal finance can help you avoid expensive mistakes.

You don't need to spend thousands of dollars on financial education before you can start learning.

Sometimes the first step is free.

Relationships Are a Form of Wealth

This might be the most important part of the entire conversation.

You can have a large investment portfolio and still feel lonely.

You can own a beautiful home and have nobody you trust sitting around the dinner table.

You can make a tremendous income and never have time for the people you love.

At some point, the financial equation becomes incomplete.

Because humans don't only need money.

We need connection.

The U.S. Surgeon General has described social connection and loneliness as significant public-health concerns, emphasizing that strong relationships are important to overall well-being.

And that leads to a personal financial lesson I don't hear enough:

Don't sacrifice every relationship in pursuit of financial success.

Build wealth.

Absolutely.

Invest for retirement.

Yes.

Pay off debt.

Definitely.

Increase your income.

If you can, do it.

But don't spend 30 years building a financial fortress and discover at the end that you forgot to build a life inside it.

The Dinner Table Is More Valuable Than We Think

There is something almost old-fashioned about eating dinner with people you care about.

No expensive restaurant.

No reservation.

No dress code.

No $150 bill.

Just food, conversation and time.

And sometimes that's enough.

Actually, I think it's more than enough.

Cooking at home can also be an important money-saving strategy for American households.

I'm not saying you should never eat out.

I love the occasional restaurant meal.

But if eating out becomes the default solution for every meal because you're too busy to cook, the financial consequences can become substantial.

A home-cooked meal can simultaneously support:

lower food spending, stronger relationships, healthier routines, and more intentional living.

That's a pretty good return.

The Most Important Luxury Might Be Financial Peace

Now we get to the part that connects all of this back to personal finance.

You can enjoy a beautiful morning.

You can walk outside.

You can read.

You can spend time with friends.

You can cook at home.

You can declutter.

All of these things are valuable.

But there is another kind of free luxury that comes from financial behavior:

peace of mind.

Imagine having an emergency fund.

You get a flat tire.

Annoying?

Yes.

Financial disaster?

No.

Your refrigerator breaks.

Unfortunate?

Absolutely.

But you don't immediately reach for a credit card.

Your employer cuts your hours.

Scary?

Of course.

But you have cash reserves.

That's financial resilience.

And I think resilience is one of the best definitions of wealth.

An Emergency Fund Isn't Supposed to Make You Rich

I want to make an important distinction.

Your emergency savings isn't primarily an investment.

Its job is safety.

The exact amount someone should keep depends on their income stability, household expenses, employment situation, insurance, debt, and other circumstances.

But the basic idea is simple.

Cash gives you options.

And options are valuable.

If you have no emergency savings, every unexpected expense can become debt.

If you have high-interest debt, the problem can become even worse.

If you have investments but no cash reserves, you may be forced to sell investments at an unfortunate time.

That's why I see an emergency fund as part of a wealth-building strategy.

Not because it produces extraordinary returns.

Because it protects everything else.

Financial Freedom Is Not the Same as Financial Riches

This distinction changed the way I think about money.

Being financially rich means having substantial financial resources.

Being financially free means having enough control over your resources that money doesn't dictate every decision.

Those are related.

But they aren't identical.

Someone earning $250,000 but spending $245,000 may have less financial freedom than someone earning $80,000 and spending $55,000.

The first person has a bigger income.

The second person may have a larger margin.

And margin is powerful.

That difference between income and expenses gives you room to breathe.

It gives you room to save.

It gives you room to invest.

It gives you room to handle emergencies.

It gives you room to say no.

And eventually, it can give you room to choose how you spend your time.

The Goal Isn't to Spend Nothing

I want to make sure this doesn't sound like another article telling Americans to stop enjoying life.

That's not my philosophy.

Money is supposed to be used.

Go on vacation.

Buy a good meal.

Celebrate your birthday.

Take your family somewhere special.

Buy things you genuinely value.

Enjoy your money.

The goal isn't to spend nothing.

The goal is to spend intentionally.

There is a huge difference.

If a $200 dinner creates a wonderful memory with people I love, maybe that's money well spent.

If I spend $200 because an algorithm convinced me I needed something I forgot about three days later, that's a different story.

Personal finance isn't about eliminating spending.

It's about eliminating spending that doesn't actually improve your life.

The Question I Ask Before Buying Something

Here's a simple question I think is worth using:

“Will this purchase make my life meaningfully better, or will I just get used to it?”

Because that's the trap with lifestyle inflation.

The new car feels incredible for a while.

Then it becomes your car.

The bigger house feels amazing.

Then it becomes your house.

The expensive phone feels special.

Then it becomes your phone.

The luxury vacation becomes a photograph.

Then you're looking for the next vacation.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying these things.

But if you need increasingly expensive purchases to maintain the same level of happiness, you're running on a treadmill.

And the treadmill never stops.

Maybe the Richest Person in the Room Is the One Who Needs the Least

This is the idea I keep coming back to.

I don't think the wealthiest person in the room is necessarily the person with the biggest income.

It might be the person who doesn't need to prove anything.

They don't need the newest car.

They don't need everyone to know where they vacationed.

They don't need the biggest house.

They don't need strangers to approve of their lifestyle.

They can sit quietly.

They can leave the phone in another room.

They can take an afternoon off.

They can say no.

They can sleep.

They can spend time with people they love.

And financially, they have enough margin that one bad month doesn't destroy them.

That's a different definition of wealth.

And honestly, I like it much more.

What I Would Do If I Wanted to Feel Richer Without Spending More

If I wanted to improve my financial life without dramatically increasing my spending, I'd start with the basics.

I'd audit every recurring expense.

I'd cancel subscriptions I don't use.

I'd review my housing costs.

I'd examine my debt.

I'd build an emergency fund.

I'd automate retirement contributions.

I'd look at whether I'm getting the full benefit of an employer retirement match.

I'd cook more meals at home.

I'd use the library.

I'd spend more time outside.

I'd schedule time with people I care about.

I'd protect some mornings and evenings from my phone.

I'd walk more.

I'd declutter.

I'd stop automatically upgrading my lifestyle every time my income increased.

None of these actions requires me to become rich first.

That's the point.

The Real Cost of Looking Rich

There is a hidden price to trying to look wealthy.

You need to maintain the image.

The expensive car needs payments.

The large house needs maintenance.

The designer wardrobe needs replacements.

The luxury lifestyle needs an income capable of supporting it.

And eventually, your financial decisions begin serving the appearance rather than the person.

That's when money stops being a tool and starts becoming a trap.

I don't want that.

I would rather have a smaller life that feels spacious than a bigger life that feels crowded.

I would rather have a paid-off car and money invested than a luxury car and financial anxiety.

I would rather have an ordinary home filled with people I love than an impressive home nobody visits.

I would rather have control over my Tuesday afternoon than another object sitting in my garage.

That's my definition of wealth.

The Best Financial Return Might Be More Life

When people talk about return on investment, we usually mean percentages.

8%.

10%.

5%.

7%.

But there are other returns that don't show up in a brokerage statement.

The return on a walk.

The return on sleeping well.

The return on reading.

The return on spending an hour with your child.

The return on cooking dinner with your spouse.

The return on calling an old friend.

The return on having enough cash to handle an emergency.

The return on saying no to something that drains you.

Those aren't traditional financial investments.

But they produce something.

They produce a better life.

And isn't that ultimately what the money is supposed to support?

My Definition of Being Rich Has Changed

I still care about money.

A lot.

I believe Americans should learn how to invest.

I believe people should understand retirement planning.

I believe building an emergency fund is important.

I believe reducing high-interest debt can transform a household's financial future.

I believe increasing your income is powerful.

I believe building a strong net worth creates options.

But I no longer think the purpose of all that work is simply to accumulate more.

The purpose is to create a life where money gives you choices instead of constantly demanding them from you.

That's the difference.

You can have a million dollars and still feel poor if you constantly need more.

You can have far less and feel rich if you have enough, appreciate what you have, and control your time.

Of course, I'm not suggesting money doesn't matter.

It matters enormously.

Financial insecurity is real.

Poverty is real.

Debt is real.

Housing affordability is real.

Healthcare costs are real.

A healthy mindset cannot replace money when someone genuinely doesn't have enough to cover basic needs.

But once your basic financial foundation begins improving, I think the next challenge is learning when enough is enough.

Maybe “Enough” Is the Most Valuable Number

We spend our lives asking:

How much more can I make?

How much more can I save?

How much more can I invest?

How much more can I afford?

There's another question that might be even more important:

How much is enough?

Enough income.

Enough house.

Enough car.

Enough stuff.

Enough subscriptions.

Enough work.

Enough commitments.

Enough comparison.

Because if you never define enough, the market will happily define it for you.

And the market's answer will always be:

More.

More products.

More upgrades.

More experiences.

More subscriptions.

More status.

More spending.

More debt.

More work.

But your life has a finite number of days.

Your attention is finite.

Your energy is finite.

Your time with the people you love is finite.

That's why I think the smartest personal finance strategy isn't simply learning how to accumulate money.

It's learning how to use money to protect what cannot be replaced.

The Rich Life I Actually Want

If you asked me what my ideal financially successful life looks like, it probably wouldn't look particularly impressive on Instagram.

I'd want enough invested for retirement.

I'd want a healthy emergency fund.

I'd want manageable housing costs.

I'd want little or no high-interest debt.

I'd want to invest consistently.

I'd want to keep my lifestyle below my means.

But I'd also want slow mornings.

Long walks.

Good conversations.

Home-cooked meals.

Books.

Quiet.

Time with family.

A home that feels peaceful instead of impressive.

And the ability to say:

“No, I don't need that.”

That last sentence might be one of the strongest indicators of financial freedom I've ever encountered.

Because when you don't need something to feel successful, you become much harder to sell to.

The Richest Things Are Often Already in Your Life

Maybe you don't need another subscription.

Maybe you need an evening without your phone.

Maybe you don't need another expensive vacation.

Maybe you need a Saturday afternoon with someone you love.

Maybe you don't need a bigger house.

Maybe you need less clutter.

Maybe you don't need another financial product.

Maybe you need to finally build an emergency fund.

Maybe you don't need a higher-status car.

Maybe you need fewer monthly payments.

Maybe you don't need another purchase.

Maybe you need to learn how to enjoy what you already own.

That's not anti-money.

It's actually one of the most financially intelligent ideas I know.

Because every dollar you don't spend on something meaningless becomes available for something meaningful.

You can save it.

Invest it.

Use it to pay off debt.

Use it to buy back time.

Or simply keep it as breathing room.

The Bottom Line

I started this article by saying I used to think being rich meant being able to buy whatever I wanted.

Today, I think that's incomplete.

Being rich is having enough money that an unexpected bill doesn't destroy you.

It's having enough invested that you can see a future beyond your next paycheck.

It's being able to say no.

It's having time.

It's sleeping peacefully.

It's having people you love around you.

It's being comfortable with a normal life.

It's not needing strangers to validate your success.

And sometimes, it's sitting on your porch with a cup of coffee and realizing that nothing needs to be upgraded today.

That's a luxury.

And it doesn't cost anything.

The financial world will always try to convince you that happiness is one purchase away.

A better car.

A bigger house.

A newer phone.

A more expensive vacation.

A better neighborhood.

Another investment.

Another promotion.

Another raise.

But I've come to believe that one of the greatest financial skills isn't learning how to afford more.

It's learning how to need less while appreciating more.

Because when you can do that, something remarkable happens.

Your income doesn't have to rise nearly as fast.

Your expenses become easier to control.

Your savings rate can increase.

Your investment portfolio can grow.

Your financial stress can fall.

And your definition of wealth becomes much harder for anyone to sell back to you.

Maybe real wealth isn't having everything you want.

Maybe it's reaching the point where what you already have feels like enough.

Suman Jana | Simon Williams Office

check more

I Would Start With $50 a Week If I Had to Build Wealth From Scratch


The Person Who Looks Poor Might Be the Richest Person on Your Street

Post a Comment

0 Comments