There was a point in my life when I thought making more money would automatically make me financially secure.
It sounds logical. Earn more, save more, invest more, become wealthy.
But real life does not work that neatly.
You can earn $50,000 a year and build wealth. You can earn $150,000 and still feel broke. You can have a six-figure salary and spend every dollar that comes through your checking account. And you can have an ordinary income while quietly building a retirement portfolio that gives you options most high earners never have.
The biggest lesson I have learned about personal finance is that wealth is not created by income alone. It is created by what you do with the difference between your income and your lifestyle.
That realization changed the way I look at money.
The source material behind this article makes the same broader point: many of the most damaging financial behaviours are not dramatic mistakes. They are ordinary habits that feel completely normal because everyone around us is doing them.
And if I had to simplify everything into one practical strategy for an ordinary American household, it would be this:
Stop leaking money—and start investing $50 every week.
That's only about $217 a month.
It doesn't sound impressive.
That's precisely why I like it.
Because building wealth doesn't have to begin with a $10,000 investment account, a six-figure salary, or a perfect stock-market strategy.
It can begin with fifty dollars.
The Financial Mistakes I Would Never Make With My Money Again
I don't believe personal finance should be about feeling guilty for every coffee, vacation, restaurant meal, or new pair of shoes.
Money is supposed to be used.
The goal isn't to die with the biggest bank account.
The goal is to create enough financial security that money stops controlling every decision you make.
But there are certain financial behaviors I would avoid because they quietly destroy that freedom.
And the first one is keeping too much cash in an account that barely pays interest.
1. I Wouldn't Let My Emergency Fund Sleep in a Nearly Interest-Free Savings Account
An emergency fund is supposed to be boring.
That's a good thing.
It should be safe, accessible, and separate from your everyday spending.
But safe doesn't have to mean unproductive.
The FDIC's national rate data show that savings rates can vary dramatically between institutions, which is why comparing savings accounts matters. A high-yield savings account can potentially pay substantially more than a traditional savings account, although rates change over time.
Imagine you have $10,000 sitting in cash.
You don't need that money invested in stocks because it is your emergency fund.
But you also don't need it earning almost nothing.
Moving that money to a competitive, FDIC-insured high-yield savings account can allow the cash to earn interest while remaining available for emergencies.
That's one of the easiest financial decisions I would make.
I'm not trying to get rich from my emergency fund.
I'm simply refusing to make my money unnecessarily lazy.
2. I Would Never Carry a Credit Card Balance Just to Look Like I Can Afford Something
Credit cards aren't inherently bad.
Used correctly, they can be useful financial tools.
The problem begins when the balance survives from one statement to the next.
That's when the purchase you made yesterday starts stealing money from tomorrow.
And this is where personal finance gets uncomfortable.
You might buy a $1,000 television.
The television doesn't care whether you pay $1,000 today or spend months paying a credit card company interest.
But your future does.
High-interest credit card debt can become one of the biggest obstacles to building wealth because the interest works against you instead of for you.
That's why my rule would be simple:
If I cannot comfortably pay the credit card statement in full, I probably cannot afford the purchase.
There are exceptions and complicated situations, of course. But as a general wealth-building rule, I would rather have fewer things and more financial freedom.
3. I Would Be Extremely Careful With Buy Now, Pay Later
Buy Now, Pay Later makes spending psychologically easier.
And that's exactly why I think consumers need to be careful.
A $400 purchase can suddenly look like four payments of $100.
The product didn't become cheaper.
The payment simply became smaller.
That distinction matters.
The Federal Reserve's household survey found that 15% of adults reported using Buy Now, Pay Later in 2024, while nearly one-fourth of BNPL users reported making a late payment. (Federal Reserve)
The problem isn't necessarily using an installment option once.
The problem is using several of them simultaneously until your future income is already committed before it arrives.
I don't want my next paycheck spending itself before it reaches my bank account.
I'd rather have fewer monthly obligations and more flexibility.
4. I Would Think Twice Before Financing a Brand-New Car for Six or Seven Years
Americans love cars.
I understand why.
A new vehicle can feel like a reward for working hard.
But there is a financial difference between being able to make a car payment and being able to afford the car.
Those aren't the same thing.
A $750 monthly payment might fit inside your budget.
But then add insurance, fuel, maintenance, registration, taxes and depreciation.
Suddenly the vehicle isn't a $750 decision.
It's a much larger lifestyle decision.
And cars are unusual because the thing you're paying for generally becomes less valuable as time passes.
Personally, I would rather drive a reliable vehicle for years after the loan is gone than constantly trade my income for another monthly payment.
A paid-off car doesn't impress the person next to you at a traffic light.
But it can make your monthly budget dramatically stronger.
5. I Would Never Leave an Employer 401(k) Match Behind
This one is different.
It's not really about cutting spending.
It's about collecting money that may already be available through your employer's retirement plan.
If your employer offers a 401(k) match, I would investigate exactly how the match works and contribute enough to receive the full available match, assuming the plan fits my circumstances.
The IRS says the employee contribution limit for most 401(k) plans is $24,500 in 2026, while the IRA contribution limit is $7,500. (IRS)
But here's the important part:
You don't need to contribute $24,500 to start building wealth.
You don't even need to contribute $7,500.
You need to start.
And this is where my favorite strategy comes in.
My Favorite Starting Point: The $50-a-Week Investing Strategy
If someone came to me and said:
"Suman, I don't have thousands of dollars to invest. What should I do?"
I wouldn't tell them to wait until they have thousands.
I'd tell them to start with $50 a week.
That's roughly $2,600 a year.
Over 10 years, you would contribute about $26,000.
Over 20 years, about $52,000.
Over 30 years, about $78,000.
And here's where the strategy becomes interesting.
If that $50 per week were invested consistently and happened to earn an average annual return of 8% over 30 years, the ending value would be roughly $318,000.
You contributed approximately $78,000.
The rest would come from investment growth.
But I want to make something extremely clear:
8% is an illustration, not a promise.
Stock-market returns are unpredictable. You can have years of gains, years of losses and long periods when your investments don't behave the way you expect.
That's why I don't think the lesson is "you will definitely have $318,000."
The lesson is:
Small amounts can become meaningful when you combine consistency, diversification and time.
And that's a much more useful lesson.
Why $50 a Week Is More Powerful Than It Looks
Think about $50.
It doesn't sound like wealth.
You could spend it on dinner.
You could spend it on a few impulse purchases.
You could spend it on subscriptions you forgot about.
Or you could turn it into an automatic investment.
That's the psychological advantage.
You don't need to wake up every Monday and decide to become wealthy.
You simply build a system.
Every Friday—or whichever day works for you—$50 moves toward your future.
After a few months, you may barely notice it.
After several years, you might look at your investment account and realize something remarkable:
You built an asset without needing a dramatic increase in income.
That is what I love about systematic investing.
It turns wealth building from an emotional decision into a routine.
Where I Would Put the $50
This depends on your financial situation.
If I had high-interest credit card debt, I wouldn't blindly prioritize investing over paying down a 20%+ balance.
I'd first attack the expensive debt.
If I had no emergency savings, I'd work toward building an emergency fund.
If my employer offered a 401(k) match, I'd prioritize capturing the match.
Then I'd look at tax-advantaged investment accounts.
For an eligible investor, that might include a workplace 401(k), Roth IRA, Traditional IRA, or taxable brokerage account depending on income, tax situation, employer plan and financial goals.
The IRS confirms that the 2026 IRA contribution limit is $7,500 and the 2026 401(k) employee contribution limit is $24,500. (IRS)
The important thing is not finding a magical account.
The important thing is creating a repeatable process.
6. I Wouldn't Try to Predict Which Stock Will Explode Next
This is one of the biggest differences between investing and gambling.
Investing doesn't have to be exciting.
In fact, I think boring is often a feature.
For a long-term investor, a diversified low-cost index fund can provide exposure to many companies without requiring you to identify tomorrow's winner.
You don't need to know which company will dominate the next decade.
You own a broad collection of businesses and allow the market to work over a long period.
There will be crashes.
There will be recessions.
There will be headlines saying the market is finished.
There will be moments when selling feels like the smartest thing to do.
That's exactly when discipline becomes valuable.
I don't want my retirement plan to depend on my ability to predict the next market crash.
I'd rather have a strategy I can follow even when the news is terrifying.
7. I Would Build an Emergency Fund Before Trying to Become an Investment Genius
This is one of the most overlooked pieces of financial planning.
The Federal Reserve's 2025 household survey found that 63% of adults said they could cover a hypothetical $400 emergency using cash or its equivalent, while 37% would need another approach or couldn't cover it that way. The Fed also reported that 55% of adults said they had savings set aside to cover three months of expenses, while 30% said they could not cover three months through savings or other available resources. (Federal Reserve)
That tells me something important.
Before worrying about beating the S&P 500, many households need to become financially resilient.
Because imagine you invest aggressively for two years.
Then your car breaks.
Or you lose your job.
Or you have a major medical expense.
Without emergency savings, you may be forced to sell investments at exactly the wrong time.
That's why I think an emergency fund is not competing with investing.
It protects your investing plan.
8. I Wouldn't Let Every Raise Become a Lifestyle Upgrade
This might be the most important habit for anyone who wants to achieve financial independence.
Let's say your income increases by $10,000.
You have two choices.
You can allow your lifestyle to absorb the entire increase.
Or you can allow your future to absorb part of it.
I'm not saying you should never enjoy a raise.
Enjoy some of it.
But I would deliberately increase my savings and investing rate whenever my income increases.
Maybe your first raise gives you an extra $200 a month.
Instead of spending the entire $200, invest $100 and enjoy the other $100.
Now your lifestyle improved.
But your wealth-building machine improved too.
That is how lifestyle inflation becomes lifestyle flexibility.
9. I Would Stop Buying Things to Impress People Who Don't Pay My Bills
This one took me a long time to understand.
Wealth and looking wealthy are two completely different things.
A luxury car can make someone look rich.
A fully funded retirement account doesn't.
A designer watch can attract attention.
A diversified investment portfolio usually doesn't.
A massive house can impress your neighbors.
A paid-off modest home can quietly strengthen your finances for decades.
And nobody sees the investment account while you're driving down the highway.
That's okay.
Because financial independence isn't a performance.
I don't want to spend my money trying to convince strangers that I'm successful.
I'd rather use my money to buy something far more valuable:
options.
The option to leave a terrible job.
The option to take time off.
The option to help my family.
The option to retire when I want.
The option to sleep without worrying about the next paycheck.
That is what wealth means to me.
10. I Would Audit Every Subscription and Recurring Expense
This is probably the least exciting financial advice I could give you.
And that's exactly why people ignore it.
Open your bank statement.
Go through every recurring transaction.
Streaming service.
Cloud storage.
Gym membership.
Software subscription.
Delivery membership.
App.
Insurance add-on.
Bank fee.
Everything.
Then ask:
"If this disappeared today, would I immediately sign up for it again?"
If the answer is no, cancel it.
Don't spend three hours optimizing a $20 grocery bill while ignoring $150 of recurring charges.
Financial planning isn't about obsessing over every penny.
It's about finding the big leaks.
Here's the Part I Really Want You to Remember
If I could go back and give my younger self one piece of personal finance advice, it wouldn't be:
"Find the next hot stock."
It wouldn't be:
"Make six figures."
It wouldn't even be:
"Buy real estate."
It would be:
Build a system that automatically turns part of your income into assets.
That's it.
Because once the system exists, your behavior doesn't have to be perfect.
You don't have to be motivated every day.
You don't have to understand every economic headline.
You don't have to predict interest rates.
You don't have to know what the stock market will do next month.
You just have to keep the machine running.
What Happens If You Start With Just $50 a Week?
Let's make this extremely practical.
Imagine an American worker earning an ordinary income.
They aren't wealthy.
They don't have a huge inheritance.
They aren't earning $300,000 a year.
They simply decide to invest $50 every week.
That's approximately $217 per month.
At an illustrative 8% average annual return, investing that amount for:
10 years: roughly $40,000.
20 years: roughly $127,000.
30 years: roughly $318,000.
40 years: roughly $700,000.
Again, these are hypothetical illustrations, not guaranteed investment results.
But look at what makes the numbers powerful.
The person didn't need to start with $100,000.
They didn't need to discover the next Apple.
They didn't need to trade every morning.
They needed something much less exciting.
Time.
And This Is Why I Don't Want You Waiting Until You "Make More"
One of the most dangerous sentences in personal finance is:
"I'll start investing when I make more money."
I've heard it countless times.
I'll invest when I get the promotion.
I'll save after I pay off the car.
I'll start a Roth IRA next year.
I'll build an emergency fund after my income increases.
I'll invest when the market falls.
I'll start when I understand everything.
And suddenly ten years disappear.
Your future doesn't care whether you felt ready.
It only cares about what you actually did.
That's why I prefer starting small.
$50 a week is not the finish line.
It's the starting line.
The Real Goal Isn't $318,000
This might sound strange after I just showed you the math.
But the real goal isn't the number.
The real goal is becoming the person who consistently invests.
Because once $50 becomes normal, maybe it becomes $75.
Then $100.
Then $150.
Your income may increase.
Your debt may disappear.
Your emergency fund may become fully funded.
Your employer may increase your salary.
And suddenly the little habit you started years ago becomes a much larger financial system.
That's how wealth is usually built.
Not through one spectacular decision.
Through hundreds of ordinary decisions that point in the same direction.
My Simple $50-a-Week Wealth-Building Plan
If I were starting from scratch today, I would keep the process extremely simple.
First, I would understand my monthly cash flow and stop spending more than I can sustainably afford.
Second, I would establish a starter emergency fund and gradually work toward a larger emergency reserve.
Third, I would aggressively address high-interest credit card debt.
Fourth, if my employer offered a 401(k) match, I would contribute enough to capture the full match, subject to the plan's rules.
Fifth, I would automate my $50 weekly investment.
Sixth, I would use a diversified, low-cost investment approach appropriate for my time horizon and risk tolerance.
Seventh, every time my income increased, I would send a portion of that increase toward investing rather than allowing lifestyle inflation to consume it.
And eighth, I would leave the system alone.
No constant trading.
No checking the portfolio ten times a day.
No financial influencer telling me I need to buy something because "this is the next big opportunity."
Just consistency.
The Most Powerful Financial Habit Is the One You Can Repeat
The personal finance industry can make wealth building look incredibly complicated.
401(k).
Roth IRA.
Traditional IRA.
Taxable brokerage account.
Asset allocation.
Index funds.
Capital gains.
Tax brackets.
Emergency savings.
Credit utilization.
Mortgage rates.
Insurance.
Student loans.
It can become overwhelming.
But underneath all of that complexity is something surprisingly simple.
Spend less than you earn. Protect yourself from financial disasters. Eliminate expensive debt. Capture available employer benefits. Invest consistently. Give compounding enough time to work.
That's the foundation.
And that's why I keep coming back to the $50-a-week idea.
Because $50 is small enough that many people can understand it.
It turns investing from an abstract goal into a behavior.
You don't need to become rich tomorrow.
You need to become slightly better with money this week.
Then do it again next week.
And again.
And again.
Final Thought From Me
I used to think wealth was about getting to a certain income.
Now I see it differently.
Income is what you earn. Wealth is what you keep, protect and compound.
A bigger paycheck can certainly make wealth building easier.
But a bigger paycheck without financial discipline can simply create a more expensive lifestyle.
That's why I refuse to measure my financial progress only by income.
I look at the assets I'm building.
The debt I'm eliminating.
The cash cushion I'm creating.
The money I'm investing.
And, perhaps most importantly, the amount of my future that I'm buying back.
If you're reading this and you feel like you're behind, I don't want you to focus on the distance.
Start with something you can actually repeat.
$50 a week.
You might not feel different after the first week.
You probably won't feel different after the first month.
But keep doing it.
Because the most important thing you're building isn't the account balance.
You're building the habit that creates the account balance.
And 20 or 30 years from now, you may look back and realize that the decision that changed your financial life wasn't some brilliant investment.
It was the ordinary Friday when you decided to send $50 toward your future—and kept doing it.
— SUMAN JANA
Educational content only. Investment returns are not guaranteed, and examples using assumed returns are hypothetical. Your appropriate strategy depends on your income, debt, taxes, emergency savings, time horizon and risk tolerance.
check more
The First $100,000 Is the Hardest: How Your Money Eventually Starts Working Harder Than You Do
The $50-a-Week Wealth Plan: How I Would Start Building Wealth From an Ordinary Paycheck

0 Comments